Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Portland Experience

I wonder how Portland cement is named? But this is not that tale..

Yesterday, the perfect Portland experience. Which of course means East side experience.
Time for a new futon. No matter how many times we flipped the monster futon, it was past its useful life, and no longer provided restful sleep. I tried life support for it by placing a comforter under me - this did keep it alive for a few more weeks.

But alas. There are exactly 2 futon shops in Portland. Not wanting to mess around with Trendy-Third street, we opted for easier parking on NE Broadway. As the sales clerk of the woman-owned store was telling us, the cotton inside the futon we were eying was from Texas, the wool was Willamette Valley coop grown (humanely), the foam - well my eyes were glassing over. I didn't catch that part, already feeling like I was in an episode of Portlandia. The one where they research the living conditions of the chicken on order at a restaurant. They have nothing over this store, I mean I didn't even ask for the etymology of the futon innards.

Changes along the Boulevard (Hawthorne). Bridgeport Brewpub, where we planned to lunch - closed. How could they be closed? Is this a sign of recession finally hitting people with money to spend? Alas, no wilted spinach salad with champagne walnut dressing for me. We found Bread & Ink cafe down the block. Used to be one of my favorite places! And yes, they had riesling vinaigrette dressing for my salad, and bacon/provolone/toasted como sandwich with basil tomato dipping sauce. Food heaven. Though their espresso, tasty as it was, did not pack the same punch as Starbucks.

For some things, I am surely institutionalized. Espresso may be one of them. I like consistency. Of course my desire for vinaigrette of some kind may be some other sort of habit that I'm not aware of (yuppy food habits).

The Safeway at 28th and SE Hawthorne is literally in crumbles, like a war zone. Huh? I hope this is not a sign of Walmart or something. Hawthorne already has Subway and I think a video store (does anyone go to them anymore? I thought we were the last people on earth..)

This will keep me for awhile, till I am again able to visit the East side :)

No comments:

Post a Comment