Thursday, July 7, 2016

Today in Portland, homelessness around the edges

Maybe it's the state of the world.
With Britain detaching from the EU, with new terrorist attacks weekly, or more often.  With new projects piled on me, though my existing projects are still underway.  Or maybe it's being hit up for cash on every street corner.

The one area of respite, of peace in this crazy world, seemed to be Mt Tabor Park.  I've seen hummingbirds up there, I've eaten thimbleberries that I was certain were my own private supply (cause I mean, how many people even know what they are).

Today, a tent, with a person inside.  Really?  Here in Mt Tabor?  Under the massive tree near the 71st Ave stairs and the tennis court.   Looked like someone in a sleeping bag/hammock swing kind of thing, inside a tent.

It shatters my peace a bit.  Our city is out of control.  I don't think the powers that be know what to do.  Every other week is a new idea about how to combat homelessness.  Last week it was a bond measure, some hundreds of millions.  It equated to $200K per unit.  Craziness, and some develooer's plan to line his pockets while there is desperation on in the air.

Just would like a little peace, and apparently I have to look a little farther now than my Mt Tabor.

No comments:

Post a Comment