Thursday, June 3, 2010

I Remember the Sun

When the sun beat down so hot, the Jersey beaches burned your feet you had to scamper fast.

Sitting next to my favorite fountains in Salem - the most beautiful, crystal blue, flowing, with cement galore. Sitting reading - fiction!

The fragrant blossoms and walking beneath them - along the shores of Lake Michigan.

Being a yard potato - while "able and available and actively seeking" work in the last recession and in between those available moments catching a few rays while listening to Kid Rock.

Days so hot and humid and I was quite pregnant and feeling like my head hurt, that was Chicago.

The 20 minutes of sun I experienced in Hawaii (5 days of clouds? that is a paradise??)

Watching cattle stand in the road, taking their own sweet time, that was Managua.

Ah but the sun is but a memory. Older now, I am tolerant. I can deal with this. There were days in the midwest (the real midwest, Chicago) where by the end of February the winter seemed endless. For awhile I got satisfaction from posting the newspaper's weather forecast for Montego Bay.

Alas it is Oregon, it is the land of endless rain. It is June, I think. It could be February. The rain never stops. Maybe fewer people will come here and we can all work 24 hours a week (no overtime!) and have jobs.

If the sun comes out, Duwaye's Deli in my building will declare a holiday and send us all outside.

1 comment: