Friday, October 8, 2010

Executive Order alert: no more snack food!

Should all state taxpayers pay for me to exercise my first amendment rights to eat cheetos on the way home?

Our governor, in his wisdom, has issued an Executive Order to ban unhealthy snack food from vending machines. Oh and also hamburgers, fries, and other unhealthy foods from the delis sequestered in state buildings around the state.

This has resulted in alarm and discontent among the vendors (the delis are run by the State association for the blind) who say they will lose money if state employees have to eat healthy and miss out on their favorite comfort food.

Have you tried working a state job without some comfort food? My favorite is soup in the morning. Which, come to think of it, is probably not on the banned list.

But my little secret, web friends, is to safely drive home requires me to consume an entire bag of crunchy snacks on the way home. Do you want me to fall asleep? No, so crunching something is a requirement, and sorry I just cannot get it together to neatly cut up healthy and low calorie celery in the morning, not at 5am.

Is this how our Gov is spending his waning days? Should he be thinking about world peace or something? Ok how about bipartisan peace? How about actually talking to the Legislature, well I guess its too late for that. How about coming around to talk with state employees? That would be novel. I've seen him a time or two, surrounded by an entourage. Never in my building though, only over by the capitol.

If you follow the thread of high calorie junk food to people who gain extra pounds, and not all of us work on road crews, some of us sit and stare at spreadsheets to earn tuition dollars for our offspring. If you follow the health hazards of being overweight, maybe this is his parting gift to reduce health care expenses and hence the state budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment