Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I can hear TV Highway from my front porch

Today on c-span I learned some new phrases, and no it was not foreign language instruction (not Russian, for instance, and no I cannot see Russia or even Washington from my porch). Things like "D-Triple-C", or "NRCC", or "Mississippi 4", or "knock her out".

For a moment I might have thought it was ESPN, but why would that be one of my presets? Unless my husband had surreptitiously stolen into my car, now that it is nice and clean and not disgusting, amazing that Windex can clean absolutely any plastic surface! Even the champagne that was not supposed to open when placed in a bag in the back seat, or the multitudes of snack crackers that had fallen next to the seats, or the melted candy canes (who would know that a satellite radio receiver would generate heat?!)

Oh! It is campaign season, and they had the national executive directors from each of the 2 primary parties (Dem, Republican, not anyone from the national Progressive party, if there is such a thing, actually they should be international lets not stop with petty country politics).

How is campaigning like sports? I was starting to space out. Sort of like basketball - watching it live is fun, but on satellite radio, not so much. Do politics have more of an impact on my life than sports? Hmm. It depends on where you live.

In Oregon there is not much in the way of sports to chose from (marching band doesn't count anymore, sorry Em). No afternoon watching the Cubs with a good friend and a brewskie at Wrigley Park. Defining your identity as a north-sider (Cubs fan) or south-sider (Sox fan). Not to mention da Bears, Blackhawks, and of course the Bulls.

Maybe politics are more interesting in Oregon cause there are precious few other sporting teams to route for.

Sigh, we need major league soccer. The Timbers will be ours come 2011! I read on a sister blog that they already have a shirt sponsor (Alaska Airlines), which only half the major league soccer teams have. This will propel them to winning-hood for sure! Rah! Time to be a soccer fan (next year, for this year, there is still politics).

No comments:

Post a Comment