Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Faithful to the Scavenger Hunt..

Some people go on fun scavenger hunts. The geocaching thing - which connects people who aren't connected in any way, except they like to find things. When they find them, a good use of the advanced technology in their smartphone, hence justifying the cost of a data plan and GPS satellites too.. they leave a trace behind.

Like inside a lamppost (there is an inside to a lamppost? trust me, I've seen it! at least in Virginia they have insides..), you open it up. You find a small vial. You open that up. You look inside. You do not have to issue any secret spells or even chant xyzzy (or even have it on your license plate). You can write your own special "I was here, or, should your name be Kilroy say, 'Kilroy was here' ".

But us grownups have other types of scavenger hunts. Today was tracking little pieces of information for OMB reporting. How fun is that! Lots of little pieces of evidence, without even the wisdom of a smartphone (except to keep me going with zumba dance tunes!) I learned much today in this quest.

Much of it unprintable. But the public things - like a vendor who did a portion of our stimulus-funded project. How there are vendors in Oregon who have their headquarters on Park Avenue in New York City. Sounds pretty tony to me. But hey, its on that price list, so apparently all is cool and we aren't paying too much.

Now why it is important to report on the congressional district of this vendor's headquarters is beyond me. Its not even Anthony Weiner's district, which I believe will get vaporized due to population loss in the non-garden state, but someone named Carolyn Maloney. NY14. I am finally getting the hang of this district numbering system. Sort of a prep for the 2012 elections.

Stimulus #1, remember that? Some of us are still faithfully tracking the money and jobs created. I was able to faithfully report 4.36 jobs were funded last quarter. OMB cares, and they get reports from all faithful scavenger reporters. Every i dotted, every t crossed. That is I hope. Everyone else has completely and absolutely lost interest. Or perhaps they trust me, yes thats it.

No comments:

Post a Comment