Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Food Chain of Consistency

Sometimes I think I am really progressive - like, the world should eat vegan. You can feed plenty more people on grains and greens, than on things higher on the food chain like cattle -which require tons of grain and water to grow.

But forget the fake cheese, vegan food trying to be something its not. I did try vegan pizza and survived, but I would not recommend it. But yes to microwave lentil couscous curry!

Other times I am on the other side of things, clinging to old ways. Like the whole "Walk your Bike" signs along the paved paths in the park. Bah.

Both of these stem from increased population. I will continue to be haunted by the cover of a Foreign Policy magazine which talked about how in 2050 most people on this planet will live in cities. If I could find it...

The world tends towards increasing population. A fact. Here in old Hillsboro, up in Brinnon where, sad to say, my neighbor is building a house. Next to my little dead end camping lot. Well my other neighbors on Gorge Court have already sold off their big leaf maples for timber. That felt like a betrayal too.

Is there a case here - or there? A "takings" for ruining my private right to natural quiet beauty?

At this moment it is man vs. blackberry in the front yard. Well, not yard exactly but that side part of the property I call the "gulch". My husband is in locked battle seeking to cultivate civilization. Get with the program girl. Sigh.

From now on I am going to see every issue on a scale of 1..10. 1 = anarchy is ok, cause you are the only one in the country. 10 = teeming metropolis. Whatever state the issue of the day is (e.g., regulations of any kind), determine the point today. And realize we are headed towards increasing population and civilization..

Yet I reserve the right to cruise my bike through the park, ignore the "walk" signs, and face the consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment