Saturday, May 29, 2010

Put away that Salt Shaker

(garden reflections on Arizona..)

Sometimes entropy should win. My reaction to slugs is usually -massacre time- with a Morton salt shaker you can dessimate one or several or a whole army. Pretty quick, painless for me, to watch them dissolve into oblivion.

Over the years I have been trained by previous generations of slugs to not entice them. No basil (their favorite). Sturdy stemmed plants that they seem not to like-- tomatoes, dill weed. Marigolds as an additional precaution, for something I forget what.

Today as I fought entropy from my newest experiment - blueberry bushes, I saw a sleek lithe blond slug climbing out of the raised bed. At quite a fast pace.

Perhaps cause he was leaving the scene and not chomping on my plants, I spared the salt shaker. Funny how this one interaction gave me a new way of looking at his peers. As I kept weeding I ran into some thick round chocolate slugs. They didn't appear to be chomping, and my blueberry bush seemed unaffected (my only real crop this year). They seemed to enjoy the cold clammy earth they were surrounding themselves in.

So I let them live too.

From one interaction with the "enemy" to a new tolerance for "entropy".

Substitute these words in the above sentence:
"foreigner" for "enemy"
"diversity" for "entropy"
This is an exercise for the reader. Think about Arizona when you do this.

1 comment:

  1. But if you give children a set of blocks-- won't they build a tower? Let's face it, humans are trained to build order from entropy. Not just humans, either, if you think about it.

    Melting pot or pudding stone?

    ReplyDelete