Thursday, May 13, 2010

Traditions


At first they are exciting. The exciting parts are still thrilling - the F-15 flyover, the 21-gun salute, the innards of an F-15 gunner system. But we take the event for granted, everyone. Armed Forces Day began in 1949 when the various services were united under the Department of Defense.

I have always felt like a child of the federal government. In the sense that my mom lived through the 40's era, the Good War, working her way up from GS-1 clerk typict at Joliet Arsenal on up to GS-11 accountant later.

The federal mothership has always been with us and I've always been a fan, not wanting to bite the hand that fed me and helped me make my tuition payments. Now some people say the federal government has gone too far, like those lunchers at the Safeway cafe.

Has it gone too far, or are we just shifting course for the federal mothership. Can we break, ever so slightly, away from massive expenditures on the military and strengthen our social fabric. How can we ensure a sound safety net which actually enables businesses to be more globally competitive (by providing health care for all).

My friend's horoscope today advocated "just the right amount of reason". I guess we'll know the right balance since it will have just the right amount of inspiration and just the right amount of reason.

Tradition is hard to break. But I think there's a way to honor the past and yet look to the future. Who says time is linear anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment