Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Everything I need to know I learned in the widget factory

In manufacturing when product fails in the field we look for root cause.

Lets apply that to initiative petitions. Why are whole subassemblies (pages) tossed out for a few faulty components (duplicate or illegitimate signatures)?

The process of paper signature gathering was probably great in the 70's. Can we evolve? In Oregon we have a progressive vote by mail system. Word has it that turnout is up, fraud is down.

The next step I believe is online voting. Security needs to be worked out but if I can file my taxes with the IRS why can't I vote by mail? I refuse to believe the massive federal government is more technically adept than us Silicon Forest types.

How do you go from collecting voter signatures from a shopping mall to getting signatures by email, you may be thinking. Lets look at the next generation (for some the current generation): smart phones. There are African nations whose people conduct 100% of their banking transactions by smart phone. Again, I refuse to believe that Burundi is more technically adept than us Silicon Forest types.

Maybe an entrepreneur is listening and wants to be part of our evolution. Till then, the 70s had its fine points - I love my Eagles records.

No comments:

Post a Comment