Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Bread was Baked Fresh Today (on trust)

Chances are 50/50 someone trying to sell you something is lying.

On anticipation: It is still "summer" yet dead daisies abound. So we already live one month ahead in anticipation. Maybe retail has it right (or has us assessed right).

Jackie, my creative writing Motown counterpart. Oh! Does she run around taking pics with her iphone? Thats my life, and observation. Her destiny was to get out of New Jersey (as well all must) go to Illinois along the lakefront (as some of us must) and get a PhD in film studies.

I suppose after I read Harriet the Spy in 4th grade it was really my high school creative writing class that got me into observation mode. Jackie living in Portland, well she took the same class. We have the same history, race riots sophomore year, etc. Yes it was pretty incredible, but all a part of us.

The bread thing - how much would you need to make for you to lie for your boss? Well, I guess I make enough now. Back when I was in grad school looking for summer work, I found a job 2 blocks away at the Acton Bakery (Mass). Where I was told to tell the customers "The bread was baked fresh today!". Hmm, I told them I didn't make enough (at $6.50/hour min wage), so I didn't have to lie. So maybe you can trust people making minimum wage to tell you the truth.

But wait, we are in a Great Recession and no one would dare do anything to get fired, so.. I think you can trust people as far as you can throw them. Or till they've lied to you 3 times. Problem is, the longer you work someplace, the more friends you have, and the more people on your X list (those who have lied to you three times).

So lets see - trust. You can trust people who make minimum wage when we're not in a Recession. You can trust people as far as you can throw them. You can generally not trust people from New Jersey until they have escaped; except of course Mayor Cory Booker in Newark, he remains an inspiration. I hate to think trust is taken day at a time. But maybe our observation about whether to trust someone changes every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment