Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What I Learned in an Earthquake Drill

Things I learned in an earthquake drill:
* My desk is made in the U.S.; so yes there are still items manufactured in the U.S.
* My desk is formaldehyde compliant. I believe that means it does not contain this nasty stuff; or maybe it only contains the compliant strands
* It is RevA. OK I get this, back to manufacturing lore (everything I need to know I learned at the widget factory, though on alternate days I might say "cspan", or "Star Trek: The Next Generation", but today is not one of those alternate days). You get to RevA when you are ready for production release. Production release is usually followed by attaining this as one of your quarterly "management by objectives", and if it is your goal you are a star. If it is a group goal you are still a star and so is your group.

The releases prior to RevA cannot be called this, they are called by clever names such as "Rev1" or "Rev2" or something. But RevA is the first actual production release.

Reaching quarterly objectives of course means bonuses for all, chickens in every pot (not really, but I did work for a software company once, an offshoot of a neon sign manufacturer, no kidding - and we all lined up to get our turkey bonuses for Xmas - real 22 pound frozen turkeys!), and money to spread on the economy. Ah, those were the glory days, we thought they would last forever.

* And best of all today, I am still confident that reading signs brings new insights, so one should do this whenever the opportunity presents itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment